2021 Provincial Pre-Budget Submission
MFOA has submitted comments to the Ministry of Finance as part of the 2021 pre-budget consultations. MFOA’s recommendations are based on how the Province can further support municipal fiscal health and promote collaboration between governments. This submission builds upon our Fall 2020 pre-budget submission.
Our recommendations are as follows:
Cancel the planned further downloading of public health and childcare costs to municipalities
- Work with the Federal government to extend the Safe Restart Agreement into 2021, and allow Phase 2 Funding for Transit to carry over in Q2
- Maintain committed transfer payments and Provincial Gas Tax allocations as planned until 2022
- Provide a one-year extension of all upcoming deadlines in O. Reg. 588/17: Asset Management Planning for Municipal Infrastructure
- Improve fairness in the regulation of payments in lieu of taxes (PILTs) for airport authorities
- Provide complete information as early as possible to allow municipalities to plan strategically and optimize limited resources
- Take a whole of government approach to reporting
- Work closely with municipalities to learn “on the ground” lessons to successfully plan for the challenges ahead
Download the PDF below to read our submission.