MFOA strongly encourages its members to seek recognition for excellence in municipal financial practices by participating in awards programs.
MFOA Member Award Winners 2017 - Congratulations!
MFOA staff and Board of Directors would like to recognise outstanding member contributions throughout the year. At this year's annual conference, we presented these awards to two very special members that have displayed their unwavering commitment to the finance sector in the myriad of projects, committees and initiatives they have undertaken with MFOA.
Congratulations to our Recipients!
- MFOA's Engagement Award 2017: Sandy Calandra, Supervisor, Analytical Support, Regional Municipality of Peel
- MFOA's Engagement Award 2017: Suzanna Dieleman, Director of Finance & Treasurer, Township of Malahide
- MFOA's Leadership Award 2017: Leanne Brannigan, Advisor, CAM, Regional Municipality of Peel
MFOA Excellence in Municipal Finance Award
This prestigious award, presented at the fall MFOA conference, annually recognizes an individual within the MFOA membership who has made a significant contribution to, and demonstrated leadership in, the field of municipal finance.
You can recognize an individual who has made a significant contribution to the field of municipal finance by filling in the Excellence in Municipal Finance Award form.
- Mike St. Amant, Treasurer, City of Toronto
Previous recipients of this award:
- James Gates, Treasurer & Deputy CEO, County of Middlesex
- Onorio Colucci, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer, City of Windsor
- Connie Mesih, Manager, Revenue and Taxation, City of Mississauga
- Shelley Stedall, Treasurer, Director of Corporate Services, Township of North Dumfries
- Desiree Kennedy, City Treasurer, City of Kingston
- Cam Weldon, Deputy City Manager, CFO, City of Toronto
- Janice Baker, City Manager, City of Mississauga
- Len Brittain, Director, Corporate Finance City of Toronto
- Heather Douglas, Partner, Borden Ladner Gervais
- Lloyd Russell, Commissioner of Finance & Regional Treasurer Regional Municipality of York
- Gil Paterson, Director of Corporate Services/Treasurer City of Pickering
- Terry Corrigan, The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Mr. Calvin Barrett Director, Financial Services & Development Financing Region of Waterloo
- Mr. Joseph P. Pennachetti Deputy City Manager & Chief Financial Officer City of Toronto (at the time of the award)
- Mr. Joseph Rinaldo General Manager, Finance & Corporate Services City of Hamilton
- Steve Zorbas, City Treasurer, City of Burlington
- Calvin Hawke, Supervisor of Budgets & Finance, County of Brant
- Shafee Bacchus, Commissioner of Corporate Services, Region of Niagara
- Allan Ross, Commisioner of Finance, City of Brampton
- Peter J. Marshall, Principal Hemson Consulting
- Jim Schaefer, Treasurer, County of Wellington
- Robert Johnstone, Treasurer, County of Haldimand-Norfolk
- Al Gunn, Partner, Deloitte & Touche
- Gil Paterson, Director of Corporate Services/Treasurer, City of Pickering
Peter J. Marshall Municipal Innovation Awards
The Peter J. Marshall Awards honours municipal governments that demonstrate excellence in operating efficiency and effectiveness through alternative service delivery initiatives and partnerships. If you are engaged in any interesting ASD, P3 or other arrangements that you think merit recognition, please consider making an application. The Peter J. Marshall Award is administered by AMO
GFOA Distinguished Budget Awards Program
The Government Finance Officers Association of the U.S. and Canada (GFOA) Distinguished Budget Awards Program provides recognition for outstanding budget documents that meet the needs of decision-makers and citizens. Further information about the program can be obtained at the GFOA website at www.gfoa.org
GFOA Canadian Award for Financial Reporting (CAnFR)
This award is designed to encourage and assist Canadian governments in producing high quality annual financial reports. Further information about the program can be obtained at the GFOA website at www.gfoa.org
Even if you are not interested in applying to either of the GFOA programs this year, please consider volunteering as a reviewer. Doing so will expose you to the innovations of others and provide ideas for improving your own budget documents. To learn more, contact Jim Phillips at GFOA at (312) 977-9700.
The 2004 award was sponsored by OMEX and MFOA gratefully acknowledges their support.
2011 Winners - FYE Canadian Award for Financial Reporting